Well this is my story of how I am "Becoming Melissa". I was racking my brain with what to call my blog and think the word journey and path are a little cliche, but that was what I wanted to write about...my story. So being the big Jane Austin fan that I am I decided to steal the idea for her movie they made, Becoming Jane.



Enjoy......


Friday, July 23, 2010

Guilt

What good does guilt ever do? We feel guilty for spending too much money; for eating too much food or just whatever food is deemed "BAD" (P.S. I hate the fact that people think food is good and bad, and talk about being naughty when you eat the "BAD" food....there are much worse things we can do than eat a lovely rich creamy dessert!!)
Or if we watch too much TV or say something bad about someone and they find out!!! I mean really how often does "Guilt" actually motivate us to do better??? Before you get carried away with a response, I pose you this...as women ... more particularly Mothers do we feel guilty about stuff, from yelling too loud or not cooking dinner or having the washing folded or not getting to cleaning the floors or smacking our kids or just plain doing the wrong thing!!!!!!

So does guilt actually motivate us to do better?

I would say no, guilt is a purely self indulgent emotion that we get bogged down in. I say self indulgent because it can allow us to justify being a victim!! And victims have their own pay off and that is that it isn't really their fault at all.

Ok so the whole point to this is that it is Godly Sorrow for actual "SIN" that allows us to move forward and desire better for ourselves. There is a huge difference in feeling guilty about making a choice that maybe wasn't so good for us; or for our children and actually sinning. Is it a sin to eat chocolate?? No; most certainly not. No more than it is to raise your voice in frustration at your kids!! We are not perfect beings therefore our actions will not always be perfect, but I would strongly argue that every mistake or choice we make that is not our best choice is a sin! Anybody who wishes to challenge me on this...please do!!
Guilt only has one Author, Satan...as for Godly Sorrow; there is only one source for that!!

That is my thought for the day...P.S. I am feeling very good!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, the guilt out there! So much guilt that us silly people put on ourselves for no good reason! You are so right, all it does is weigh us down - bog us down - stop us from progressing - and it is so different than godly sorrow. Completely different. You are so right. I have been thinking about this a lot lately as my sunday school teacher oozes guilt over everything little thing (drives me bonkers) and it's such a waste!
    xoxx

    ReplyDelete